Gambette Gods

May 5 cont...

What do Sir Ed and Timothy Leary have in common?

They both know that when you go up, you gotta come down...

I could add that the quality of both experiences has everything to do with those around you at the time. An odd tendency I was aware of is that if I worry about something, usually it winds up being OK, sometimes better than OK and occasionally miraculous. And when I'm too flippant and put little or no energy toward something it can detonate with the impressiveness of supporters of the losing side out on the town after the game.

I had been almost beside myself with dread over climbing the 'mountain' to temple 12. It wasn't only in the way everyone always said gambette, good luck, it was in their facial expression. I had seen that 'good luck' before when I was moving from my hometown to the capital city - the good luck that wished it had a spare support crew it could lend you.

However, I had been alone for each of the most recent good lucks, so the good luckers hadn't figured on a small army being sent from the other side to be on every side of me (I hadn't figured on them either) so getting to temple 12 fell into the miraculous and I will never know if my lightheadedness was from altitude, relief or that giddy feeling that comes with having a brush with divine intervention.

No comments: