Saying No to Soaking in a Bus

May 12 cont...

As I came up to a hotel, I said Please let this be the one! And it was. It was fantastic. Clean, ordered and only 5,200 yen and breakfast was when I wanted it as opposed to 6am like most other places.


When I got to my room and started writing, the man rang and wanted to know about ‘bus’. Huh? I said Breakfast? He said again ‘bus!’. I didn’t get it and we laughed. Finally he said ‘shower’ and I realized he had been saying ‘bath’. I said Iie – no bath. He said Hai, I said Arigato and we hung up.

10 minutes later he rang again. We went through the same conversation then he put his wife on and I repeated the same thing. I’ve had this before. I think they were incredulous that anyone would not want a bath.

They would be even more incredulous if they saw me bathing in their washbasin in the porch of my room...

No comments: