Downsizing

May 6 cont...

The Agnes was starting to feel like home by now and, even though none of them could speak English, the staff's face always lit up with recognition when I walked in. My left-behind things were already in my room when I got there but before I could even think about rearranging, I had to sleep, which I did, for an hour.


When I woke, I realised tomorrow was Sunday and if I wanted food etc, I had better get it now before the shops shut. I ventured a bit further afield this time but still ended up back at SOGO. I had learnt what not to get from the last time (lettuce, tofu etc) and mainly got snack and energy foods.


I call this the SOGO Spiral - it was directly outside the SOGO dept store and was a few stories high. It reminded me of my favourite sculpture at my dear friends RTN's place

I came back to my room and spent an hour sorting. I had just bought a school sized backpack for ¥500 ($7 NZD) so pulled everything out of the big pack and put everything I didn't need back in it then all that I did need in the small backpack. Now I only had one pair of shoes (that I was wearing), two indentical sets of Vigilante trampers pants, and white tops, a few tee shirts, underwear, plastic poncho, bathroom stuff and, of course, my second skin - my Icebreaker hoodie. What a difference!! The craziness and humour when looking back on the things we didn't know we didn't know...

No comments: