Fish - The Mamasan Dish

May 14 cont...

We were greeted at the door by a lovely little Mamasan. The lodging was beautiful and I guessed it was probably expensive too.


I had a shower then a quick bath.

At 7:30, Mamasan announced dinner.
We went down in our Yakata and were presented with the hugest meal I had seen which comprised mainly of numerous dishes of different fish cooked in different ways.
I found it intriquing and exciting and tried (and ate all of) everything, including a whole fish and a fish head. The only thing I didn’t eat were some tiny battered whole fish.
We then got Tempura, then soup, then an egg dish I also couldn’t eat.
It was a feast and I felt outrageously spoilt!

Mamasan sat with us through our whole meal. She commented to Makoto San about my ability with chopsticks and said many Japanese women couldn’t use them as well as I could.
I explained that I use them everyday at home, even eating breakfast cereal and icecream with them so I didn’t think anything of it, but I had noticed that Japanese were surprised that I even knew what they were, much less had used them before.

Makoto San had two bottles of Asahi Beer and I had a Sake. Mamasan bought in a coffee for me (even though I would have loved more Sake!) which was probably just as well as a Henro wasn’t supposed to indulge in any of the senses while on the trail (smoking, drinking, sex etc). She also bought in a dessert that was baked or roasted Kumara covered in a sweet syrup. I don’t normally eat Kumara but when in Rome, and I loved it! I had to remind myself to leave some for Makoto San.

Mamasan left us then and Makoto San and I talked and compared and laughed for another hour. We decided there were a lot of things ‘same worldwide’.

I sensed Mamasan walking past the door and suggested to Makoto San that we had better go to bed. It was quite late and we had an early start as usual.

I wrote a text to The Saint saying I missed him and tried to sleep again.

I realized that the combination of fish (brain food) and Sake (stimulant) was a bad combo before bed time.

TEXTS...
EL to PG: Us fullas are in Matsuyama City. Temple 53. Drizzle last few days but sunny today & not too hot. Mostly 23 deg. Met Terminal Henro (pilgrim) today - on 22nd round!

PG to EL: He must have some chix stashed around the circuit. How many years has he been doing that?

EL to PG: 3 Years! Doubtful bout chick factor - wasn't good being downwind of him. Quality human being though...

EL to F&F: Just had latest friend teaching me slang over beer and sake. Enough to get my but not enough to get respect. Mozzies size of small bi-planes invading me!

EL to GMC: (Mother) HAPPY MAMASANS DAY-I LUV U HEAPS AN HEAPS AN HEAPS!!

GMC to EL: Thank you and same to you! Love you all those heaps too

No comments: