Kai Karma - T5

May 3 cont...

Between temples 5 and 6, I asked Yahiro San to relay to Taieriki and Kenji San's that I would like to share my food with them for lunch. By the looks on each of their faces, I guessed they were mentally checking their karmic bank balances to see if they could afford a withdrawal. Taking food from a simple and clearly not financially fortunate Gaijin seemed like a big ask of their consciences.


I, however, was flush with karma and needed to share it around. With the amount of generosity I had been given in the last 24 hours, it felt like my responsibility to distribute it.

Before one of them could break ranks and turn me down, knowing the others would follow, I quickly unpacked all the kai. It was only then they started relaxing. They took their packs off with a syncronised sigh of relief realising that, in fact, they were about to do me a favour.

I may have had exquisite SOGO delicacies, and lots of them, but anyone could see their expiry date was in three minutes.

No comments: